Happy family

Find a legal form in minutes

Browse US Legal Forms’ largest database of 85k state and industry-specific legal forms.

Federal Court Proceeding of Housing Discrimination

If either party of a housing discrimination case chooses to have the case decided in Federal District Court, the Attorney General will file suit and litigate the case on behalf of the complainant.  The court can order relief, and award actual damages, attorney’s fees and costs.  The court can also award punitive damages.

Victims of housing discrimination can file their own suit in Federal District Court or a state court within two years of an alleged violation.  The person may bring suit even after filing a complaint, if s/he has not signed a reconciliation agreement and an Administrative Law Judge has not started a hearing.  The court may award actual and punitive damages and attorney’s fees and costs.

Inside Federal Court Proceeding of Housing Discrimination