Complaints about housing discrimination should be directed to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD has a form entitled “Housing Discrimination Complaint Form,” which is available for download and can be submitted online. A victim may also file a complaint by writing a letter, or calling their nearest HUD office within one year of an alleged violation of the Fair Housing Act.
The complaint must include:
- Name and address of the person filing the complaint
- The name and address of the respondent
- The address or other identification to the housing involved
- A short description to the alleged violation
- The date(s) to the alleged violation
HUD also provides a toll-free TTY phone for the hearing impaired: 1-800-927-9275.